fbpx

The Lounge

Find answers, ask questions, share tips, and connect with our community around the world.

• Dana Nielsen

Administrator
    at 9:46 pm

My pleasure man!

True about the sweet, sweet pultec sounds as well as other colorful EQ models, which add a lot of wonderful mysterious beauty when boosting. Regarding the sonic differences between surgical parametric EQ plugins boosting equal amounts of the exact same frequency and bandwidth …. If you don’t hear a difference then there probably is none! Simple as that. And in my experience that tends to be the case – not much difference if at all. Don’t second-guess yourself or let any of that wig you out – just keep it simple and trust your ears. Most EQs of that type sound the same at the end of the day, and you might end up preferring one over the next due to non-sound-related things like:

• system resources / efficiency
    • graphic interface
    • metering / visual feedback
    • band solo-isolate option while sweeping
    • wide range of db/octave options on high and low pass filters
    • map-ability to hardware encoders (Eucon, Hui, MIDI faders/pots etc.)
    • number of available bands
    • Mid-side options (EQing only the mid or the side channels)
    • mono-maker (summing all frequencies to mono above a certain frequency)
    • “tilt” band option
    • specialized processor compatibility (UAD, HDX)

…And on and on. That above list is off the top of my head, and just some of the factors that may lead me to favor one “surgical workhorse desert-island” EQ over another. And incidentally NONE of those factors have anything to do with sound QUALITY. Know wha’mean?

TL;DR: Chances are your stock Ableton parametric probably sounds just as good as the competition. ⚡️