fbpx

The Lounge

Find answers, ask questions, share tips, and connect with our community around the world.

• David Maroul

at 12:16 pm

Hey Dana, great info, as always! I am about to go down a rabbit hole here (and take you with me, sorry lol).

My question is: How important is the quality of the recording you are referencing?

Spotify is a great example. I know from my own experience a noticeable (to me) difference between my final 24 bit 44.1 khz master and what I hear once it streams on Spotify.

I have read some people compare Spotify’s upload compression to a 320kbps mp3 but I don’t think this is completely accurate.

I personally notice some minor freq variations and a loss of some transients.

Obviously none of these are deal breakers but I am sure I am not the only one who finds it a bit disheartening to hear the mix you’ve worked so hard on “not” be replicated the way you want others to hear it. lol

Anyway, I guess my thought is, if I am not referencing another artist’s 24bit (or higher) master, how close, especially eq-wise, can I hope to get to what they uploaded to Spotify, (or before compressed into a mp3 format, in that case).

I think overall a general reference quality is especially useful for dynamics, mix placement etc. but Ozone, which I use has a reference feature where you can insert a reference track for Ozone to compare to. I am thinking that optimally you need access to a high quality reference for Ozone to make a proper comparison.

Am I crazy? 🤣