Master Your Mix Podcast Episode 158: Dana Nielsen: Capturing Pro Vocals | August 9, 2023
I recently sat down for a wonderful conversation with Mike Indovina, founder of MasterYourMix.com.
Mike is a recording, mixing, and mastering engineer who has worked with hundreds of artists in multiple genres ranging from acoustic, pop/rock, hip hop and more. He’s worked alongside artists such as KISS, Collective Soul, Ed Robertson (Barenaked Ladies), David Usher, and many more.
In addition, his incredible website MasterYourMix.com offers a TON of amazing mixing tips, downloads, strategies, resources, and — of course — fun podcasts like this one. Be sure to check him out!
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Using the studio as a place of creativity and collaboration
- Knowing when and when not to provide input in a session
- Working with Rick Rubin
- Executing on the vision of a producer
- Being prepared for when creativity strikes
- The easiest way to work your way up the ladder in the world of production
- Getting a pro vocal sound
- How to deal with bleed when editing vocals
- Editing tools for vocals
- Melodyne vs. Autotune
- How to record vocals quickly
- Tracking through Atuotune
- Why you should always start a mix by focusing on the drama first
- Using automation to make mixes more exciting
- The “slippery fader” trick
Share this with your favorite peeps:
Learn more about Mike Indovina at www.masteryourmix.com
Learn more about me, and hire me to produce, record, and/or mix your next project at www.dananielsen.com