I’m comin’ in HOT with another incredible livestream replay for you to enjoy this weekend. In this live mixing session streamed from my Los Angeles studio, I take you through the entire process of mixing ‘Joy Is,’ a captivating movement from Ike Sturm’s upcoming album-length composition, RIVER, set for release in 2024, featuring a dynamic large ensemble.
Over 3 hours of teaching, technique, tone-sculpting, thought process, training, talking, and laughing. Not to mention Ike’s phenomenal music, which isn’t even out yet! This is literally your FREE invitation to hang out in the studio with us, listen to unreleased music of the highest caliber, and watch me mix a song from start to finish while describing everything I’m doing. Say WHAT?! And you don’t even have to be a Mix Protégé member to access this free replay – great for sharing with friends!
I’ve even organized everything into chapters (38 in total!) so you can navigate wherever you like with ease. 🕺🏻 Here are just a few of the chapter titles:
- Finding my initial mix balance, and why I love faders so much (i.e. “Faders Forever!”)
- Using DI’s to mitigate bleed
- How I approach mixing choir and strings, and why I chose to add the strings in last
- De-essing using clip gain
- Using VCAs to reestablish mix headroom
- What the heck is latch-trim automation and when do I use it?
- How low-end affects our perceived depth of field within the soundstage
- My favorite phase alignment tool and why I prefer to adjust it manually, by ear
- Using song structure to your mix advantage
Honestly, I don’t know how it’s possible, friend. I’m figuring this out as I go, trying first and foremost to provide fun, helpful, engaging content for my amazing Mix Protégé fam, like you! If you dig this replay, would u do me a favor and leave a comment on the replay page, and consider sharing it with your favorite peeps who might also like to join our fun lil’ community? Just forward them this email or use the share buttons on the replay page. Thank you immensely from the bottom of my harmonically saturated heart. ❤️🔥